PIERCE's VaxMate vaccine cooler is an innovative product designed to protect cattle vaccines. In this article, we answer frequently asked questions about VaxMate.
WHAT IS VaxMate? HOW WAS IT DESIGNED?
VaxMate is a livestock vaccine cooler designed to protect your investment from UV light, temperature and other degradation from the elements. Read more here: "PIERCE Designs One-of-a-Kind Cooler to Protect Livestock Vaccine."
WHAT COMES WITH VaxMate?
The cooler is made of rotomolded plastic and includes a stainless steel instrument tray, three stainless steel vaccine gun holders, easy grip handles, and a temperature gauge with alarm.
HOW MUCH ICE IS REQUIRED TO COOL VaxMate?
If using ice we recommend filling up the bottom of the VaxMate until the syringe holsters are touching the ice. If you're using ice packs, use two to four ice packs.
WHAT IS PRE-CHARGING? HOW DO I PRE-CHARGE VaxMate?
For best results "pre-charge" the VaxMate by filling it with ice and getting it to temperature. Like all high performance coolers pre-charging is a requirement for optimal use. One hour before use fill the bottom of the VaxMate with ice. After an hour discard the ice and repack with ice or ice packs.
HOW DO I INSTALL THE BATTERY?
Once the temperature gauge is removed from the VaxMate, flip the gauge over to the back and slide the door for the battery to the left so that it pops open. Insert 1 (AAA Battery), close door and reinstall in the VaxMate. See step 5 for installation directions.
HOW DO I INSTALL THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE?
Feed the temperature gauge wire to the inside of the VaxMate and install gauge in the side of the VaxMate. • Using the supplied clamp, tie up any extra wiring and secure the clamp to side of the VaxMate with the provided screw. (Be careful! You can over tighten and strip the threads in the VaxMate wall)
HOW DOES VaxMate DIFFER FROM OTHER VACCINATION COOLERS?
- Other coolers like Cattle Vac Box are not insulated for temperature regulation and do not offer angled and stainless syringe holsters for quick syringe removal. Styrofoam, though cost effective, does not offer UV protection. We've had customers who've been punctured by live vaccine when using Styrofoam coolers.
- We wanted to create a product that solved the top vaccination issues found by veterinarians and ranchers, not create more issues. We believe beef quality assurance is paramount to healthy cattle. VaxMate is a tool to be added to your BQA program.
HOW DO YOU SET THE TEMPERATURE MONITOR?
STEP 1. SET HIGH RANGE
• Press and hold the “HI SET” button until the reading begins to flash.
• Once flashing, press “AL UP” until the desired maximum temperature is reached. Refer to the vaccine's packaging for the correct range. The standard range is typically between 35– 46°F (2 to 8°C)*.
• Once the temperature is displayed, press “HI SET” to lock in the temperature.
STEP 2. SET LOW TEMPERATURE RANGE
• Press and hold the “LOW SET” button until the reading begins to flash.
• Once flashing, press “AL UP” until the desired maximum temperature is reached. Remember the safe range for vaccine safety is between 35 – 46°F (2 to 8°C)*.
• Once the temperature is displayed, press “LOW SET” to lock in the temperature.
STEP 3. SET HIGH TEMPERATURE ALARM
• Press and hold the “HI SET” and press “AL UP” to toggle ON and OFF.
STEP 4. SET LOW TEMPERATURE ALARM
• Press and hold the “LOW SET” and press “AL UP” to toggle ON and OFF.
See common issues and how VaxMate solves them! Click below to download the infographic!