A little preventative maintenance will ensure a long winch life. Regularly inspecting your winch before the seasons change will keep you from experiencing lots of inconvenient situations like finding yourself with frayed winch ropes before the first snow or without battery life when you are ready to go mudding.
Damaged equipment must be properly repaired or replaced by the manufacturer or an authorized service center. Inspect and maintain the wire rope and winch frequently.
Whether you’re operating an electric winch, a hydraulic winch or you’re industrial winching, the check list below will help keep your equipment in tip top shape.
Winch Maintenance Check List:
- Regularly lubricate all grease points
- Inspect all bolts
- Inspect all electrical connections, (even at the battery) and cable
- Check to ensure there is no worn coatings or corrosion on electrical connections
- Tighten all connections
- Check for wear, flat spots and broken strands on your wire rope
- Replace Damaged or worn cable
Do you have winch maintenance fails or wins? Comment on our Facebook wall with the hashtag #winchfail or #winchwin. Safe winching!
Just call Chris, Pierce Winch Manager at 800-658-6301
Watch Winch 101 Maintenance: